Details

Reviews of scale model detail sets.

Sea Harrier FRS.1 Mask Set

Published: June 12th, 2016     
Sea Harrier FRS.1 Mask Set
Reviewed by: Allan Murrell, IPMS# 49715
Scale: 1/48
Company: Eduard

This is a mask set for the Kinetic Sea Harrier FRS.1Kit. This set helps you save time masking the canopy by providing all you need pre-cut masks.

In the packet is:

  • 1 precut masking sheet
  • 1 instruction sheet

The masks are for the front windscreen, main canopy and the wheel hubs.

Summary

This is very good and time saving when it comes to masking which is perfect for this kit and really helps.

Thanks go to Eduard for providing this set to review and IPMS USA for allowing me to review it for them.

Sea Harrier FRS.1 Exterior

Published: June 12th, 2016     
Sea Harrier FRS.1 Exterior
Reviewed by: Alan Murrell, IPMS# 49715
Scale: 1/48
Company: Eduard

This is a great photoetch set for the Kinetic Sea Harrier FRS.1 kit. This set adds a lot of extra detail to the exterior and makes it look even better.

The photoetch parts are for the:

  • Wing details
  • Landing gear details
  • Various grilles
  • Landing gear bay details
  • Wing pylon details

In the Packet is:

  • 1 photoetch sheet
  • 1 instruction sheet

Summary

This is great photoetch set to bring a lot of additional details to this very good kit.

Thanks go to Eduard for providing this set to review and IPMS USA for allowing me to review it for them.

Tornado Pitot

Published: June 11th, 2016     
Tornado Pitot
Reviewed by: Jim Pearsall, IPMS# 2209
Scale: 1/144
Company: Master Model

Master Model of Poland has figured out a way to produce very fine brass parts for detailing aircraft. These are wonderful additions to models, particularly the pitot tubes, refueling probes and gun barrels, which seem to get bent or broken depressingly often. Not only that, because of the strength of the brass, the parts can be made smaller diameter than the plastic parts provided in most kits.

This detail set is the pitot tube for the Panavia Tornado, currently in use with the Luftwaffe, the RAF, Italian AF and the Royal Saudi AF. There are 4 kits available in 1/144, Revell, Dragon, Academy and Anigrand. Since I already had the Dragon kit built, that’s the one I put the new pitot on.

The instructions for this detail set are VERY good. Preparation consists of removing the kit pitot and making a flat spot on the nose. I used a medium grit sanding stick to make the flat spot.

The flat spot allows the drill to make a clean hole without slipping off the point. Once the hole is drilled, be sure to check the fit of the pitot, as the hole needs to be deep enough.

F-14 Alfa Probe (Pitot)

Published: June 11th, 2016     
F-14 Alfa Probe (Pitot)
Reviewed by: Jim Pearsall, IPMS# 2209
Scale: 1/144
Company: Master Model

A while back I built Dragon’s 1/144 F-14D Tomcat for a review. Master Models of Poland has come out with a replacement “alfa probe” for the Tomcat. I still think of it as a pitot tube, but I’m pretty 20th Century.

In doing a little research, I found that there are two other 1/144 F-14s available, Revell and Trumpeter. In looking at the “in box” reviews, both of these kits do have alfa probes. The Dragon kit I built doesn’t have one. OK. But I have built more than one model where the pitot tube has been broken, bent or deformed to where it really needs replacement. In the past, a cut off straight pin worked pretty well. Now we have a much better looking part.

The instructions are pretty basic, but so is the procedure. We’re not doing knee replacement here.

Cut off the existing probe. In this case, I just had to use a sanding stick to get a flat spot for the drill.

Drill a hole for the new alfa probe. I had to go to the LHS and buy a new drill, as I no longer had one which was both the right size and not broken.

Check the hole for correct depth. A test fit should be done, just in case

37mm Flak 18 Barrels

Published: June 9th, 2016     
37mm Flak 18 Barrels
Reviewed by: Jim Pearsall, IPMS# 2209
Scale: 1/144
Company: Master Model

The Ju-87G Stuka was the last of the line. There were some purpose-built G’s, but most of them were D models with the cannon pods added. The first use of the Ju-87G was at Kursk, but there were only a few, and they made no difference.

Master has turned out a pair of new barrels for the 37mm cannon. They are turned brass, and so are much more durable than the original barrels.

I was able to find only one 1/144 Ju-87G kit, Eduard’s. The Eduard kit is very good, I built one for a review back in 2014. So I used the new barrels on the “old” kit.

Prep

I removed the barrels from the underwing pods with a sprue nipper. I then used a #11 blade to form a depression in the front of the pod to use as a pilot hole. The spot is quite small, and small drills have a bad habit of slipping off.

I had to buy some small metric drills at the LHS last weekend, because I didn’t have any drills that small left. They were either broken or somewhere in the den of the carpet monster. The drill I used on this project was a .3 mm. That’s 1/64 of an inch.