British 500lb Bombs Set

Published: June 4th, 2018     
Product Image
Product packaging
Reviewed by: 
Frank Landrus, IPMS# 35035
Scale: 1/48
Company: Eduard
Price: $13.00
Product / Stock #: 648 368

This set is the latest in Eduard's "Brassin" line. The set comes in a resealable clamshell package with a cardboard insert to separate the decals, etched parts, and instructions from the sixteen resin parts. The instructions comprise one sheet representing the cover sheet with the decal application guide along with painting instructions. The inner spread provides the assembly guide, with the back sheet showing the parts list and the color codes for Gunze paint (Aqueous and MrColor). I will note that the resin parts on my set had lots of room in the blister to move and as a consequence, I had the rear fins broken off (R33) on two of the four bombs. This set will need to be installed with your favorite CA (super glue) or epoxy, as the normal plastic glues or solvents will not react with the resin or photoetch.

I started separating the resin parts from their sprue blocks. What is critical here is make sure that the rear of the 500lb bomb is very flat to match up with the conical tail, which also needs to be very flat to match up together with minimal seam work. I used a photoetch saw to separate the parts from the sprue block and then used sanding pads to clean up. Thee conical tail and the main bomb didn't match up very well due to small bumps in the mating surfaces so I ended up using my #11 scalpel blade to act as a plane to remove the barely perceptible differences. After a couple rounds of test fitting, I secured the three resin parts together with super glue.

I used Tamiya to prime the assembled bomb, the tiny resin nose insert, and the photoetch. Once dry, I sprayed the assembled bomb and the nose insert with Vallejo Olive Drab and the photoetch sprue with Vallejo steel. I inserted the nose photoetch piece around the nose insert and slid both into the hole in the nose, securing with superglue. I added a touch of superglue to the tail of the assembly and added the tail propeller. I sprayed the bomb assembly with Future and then applied the decals. The red and green circumference lines went on great despite early trepidations. Once dry, I coated the assembly with Vallejo Matt Varnish. I applied several Vallejo washes to get some highlights, but I think I went a bit overboard, especially on the tail. At least it's correctable.

I am quite pleased with the overall look of the British 500lb general-purpose bombs and feel that they are well worth the cost and effort. You can see in the comparison photographs (featuring a Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster bomb) below the difference they make. Highly Recommended

My thanks to Eduard and IPMS/USA for the chance to review this great kit.

  • Comparison with kit bombs
    Comparison with kit bombs
  • Comparison with kit bombs
    Comparison with kit bombs
  • Decal sheet
    Decal sheet
  • Instruction sheet 1
    Instruction sheet 1
  • Instruction sheet 2
    Instruction sheet 2
  • Instruction sheet 3
    Instruction sheet 3
  • Resin parts on pour stub
    Resin parts on pour stub
  • Kit contents
    Kit contents
  • Finished 500lb bomb
    Finished 500lb bomb
  • Finished 500lb bomb
    Finished 500lb bomb
  • Finished 500lb bomb
    Finished 500lb bomb
  • Finished 500lb bomb
    Finished 500lb bomb

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
homepagelink